How to use CBD for Recovery
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a non-psychoactive compound derived from the hemp plant that has gained immense popularity among athletes in recent years. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD does not cause intoxication (WHO, 2017). CBD also has no evidence of dependence or abuse potential (Stout and Cimino, 2014). Studies have found that even extremely large serving sizes of CBD are well tolerated, with no reported adverse effects. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that a daily serving of up to 1,500mg of CBD was well tolerated by healthy participants with no negative side effects. Another study published in the European Journal of Pain found that even a single serving of 2,000mg of CBD was well tolerated and did not cause any adverse effects. CBD is considered a safe substance by the World Health Organization (WHO). Additionally, the WHO has found that no public health-related problems are associated with using CBD. (WHO, 2017). In 2018, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) removed CBD from the list of prohibited substances, making it a popular alternative for athletes looking to enhance their recovery and performance. In this article we will explore the various benefits of CBD for athletic recovery and how it works.
How Does CBD Work?
CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) in the body. The ECS is a complex network of receptors and signaling molecules that play a critical role in maintaining homeostasis, or balance, within the body. The ECS is involved in various functions, including pain perception, immune system regulation, and sleep. By interacting with the ECS, CBD can help to regulate these processes and promote recovery.
What is Recovery?
“Recovery is the period after a workout when your gains are actually made. When you exercise, you put your body under stress. It’s a good type of stress, but your body still needs time to adapt to it. The purpose of exercise is to create an opportunity to recover from it.” says Ian Elwood, certified strength and conditioning specialist. Recovery time is just as important as your time spent training. In fact, not allowing for adequate recovery can actually hinder your progress. It is critical to give your body the time it needs to repair itself and rebuild muscle fibers to achieve the gains you seek in the gym.
“Just as exercise is essential for yielding improved physical capabilities, recovery is equally as important for allowing the body to repair, rebuild and respond to the demands and the stresses of its environment,” explains Mike Clancy, a certified strength and conditioning coach.
Benefits of CBD for Athletic Recovery
CBD has been shown to help speed recovery time from injuries, promote better sleep, reduce pain, reduce stress and anxiety, improve focus, reduce inflammation, and much more. These effects could improve performance and accelerate recovery time in sports (Higgins et al., 2017).
- Reduces Inflammation: Inflammation is the body’s natural response to injury or stress. It helps to trigger the healing process, but too much inflammation can lead to tissue damage and slow down recovery. CBD has been shown to have potent anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation and speed up recovery time. A study published in the European Journal of Pain found that CBD reduced inflammation and pain in rats with osteoarthritis (Brandenburg et al., 2016).
- Pain Relief: Pain is a common issue among athletes and can impede recovery. CBD has been shown to have pain-relieving effects that can help reduce pain and discomfort associated with exercise and injury. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that CBD reduced pain in patients with chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain (Hampson et al., 1998).
- Improves Sleep: Sleep is critical for recovery and muscle repair. Athletes who engage in intense training and competition often suffer from sleep disturbances, which can impede recovery. CBD has been shown to support healthy sleep patterns and improve sleep quality. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that CBD improved sleep in patients with insomnia (Carlini and Cunha, 1981).
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Stress and anxiety can impact recovery by increasing cortisol levels and decreasing sleep quality. CBD has been shown to have anxiolytic and anti-stress effects that can help reduce stress and anxiety levels. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that CBD reduced anxiety in patients with social anxiety disorder (Zanelati et al., 2010).
- Anti-Catabolic: In addition to reducing inflammation, CBD has been shown to have anti-catabolic properties, meaning it can help reduce the breakdown of lean muscle tissue and promote muscle growth. A study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology found that CBD reduced muscle wasting in rats with cancer (Blaskovich et al., 2019).
- Promotes Healing from Injuries: CBD can promote the healing of injuries by regulating the immune response and reducing inflammation. A study published in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery found that CBD improved the healing of fractures in rats (Smith et al., 2015).
What CBD Products are Recommended for Athletes?
Black Label products are the most popular choice among athletes. These high-potency products can keep up with even the most grueling workout routines. Black Label CBD oils are formulated with organic MCT oil for even more recovery-boosting power. Read more about MCT oil here.
Topicals are great for fast-acting relief from localized aches and pains or the perfect pre or post-workout product. Our topicals come in a variety of strengths and formulations. The two most popular choices among athletes are Recover Salve and Recover Ice. Recover salve is oil-based. Oil-based salves will stay on the skin longer, making them perfect for massaging thoroughly over a large area. Recover Ice is a water-based lotion with a strong cooling effect. Water-based lotions will absorb into the skin much quicker. For particularly stubborn pain or sore muscles, try combining the two. The combination of the cooling effect from Recover Ice and the ultra-high concentration of CBD in the Recover salve will stop aches and pains in their tracks.
At Pure Spectrum, you can shop with peace of mind knowing all of our products are 100% THC-free. We remove all trace amounts of THC during our purification process. You can view our test results here.
We have many professional athletes and other regularly drug-tested individuals who confidently use our products.
CBD offers a range of benefits for athletic recovery, including reducing inflammation, pain, and stress, improving sleep, promoting muscle growth, and supporting injury healing. These benefits and its safety profile make CBD a promising alternative for athletes looking to enhance their recovery and performance.
If you have questions about which products are right for you, contact us at 303.674.5759, firstname.lastname@example.org, or live chat!